I am commonly asked by sceptics of theism: “Why doesn’t God make Himself more obvious?” I think that through the universe, humanity and Jesus, God has made Himself very clear. However, it does stand to reason that He could make Himself clearer; perhaps He could write “made by God” on every atom, or speak audibly to everyone on the planet. However, God’s desire is not to simply prove His existence to us; He also wants to enter a relationship with us.
Jesus didn’t come to Earth to simply proclaim the existence of God; He came with a bigger message. Jesus explained that all human beings are sinful, and the punishment for sin is death and eternal separation from God1.
However, in 1 Peter 2:24, Peter writes “He (Jesus) himself bore our sins in his body on the cross, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed.”2 On the cross of crucifixion, Jesus took our sin upon himself, and with it, the punishment of death that we rightly deserve. By going to the cross, Jesus granted us the gift of forgiveness, so that we may be reconciled with God and live with Him in paradise for eternity.
So what are we to do with this message? John 1:12 says “to all who did receive Him (Jesus), He gave the right to become children of God”3. The gift of forgiveness is free and available to all who accept Jesus. And Jesus taught that we accept Him by repenting4– which means turning away from our sinful way of living, and asking Jesus to be our Saviour, Friend and King. So here’s one final question to end this little booklet: could you accept Jesus into your life?
- Romans 3:23, Matthew 13:40-43, John 3:5-8
- 1 Peter 2:24 (NIV)
- John 1:12 (NIV)
- Luke 5:31-32, Luke 24:46-47
Want to dig a little deeper into the topics discussed in this booklet? Here are a few titles that I and others have found helpful.
General Christian Apologetics
- Richard Bewes, Top 100 Questions
- Roger Carswell, Grill a Christian
- William Lane Craig, On Guard- Defending Your Faith with Reason and Precision
- Timothy Keller, The Reason for God
- John Lennox, God’s Undertaker- Has Science Buried God?
- John Lennox, Seven Days that Divide the World
- Lee Strobel, The Case for a Creator
- William Lane Craig, Reasonable Faith- Christian Truth and Apologetics
- John Lennox, Gunning for God- Why the New Atheists are Missing the Target
- Alistair McGrath, Why God Won’t Go Away- Engaging with the New Atheism